Tuesday, January 24, 2012

Pics from Road to California

First, let me get the formalities out of the way.  These quilts were photographed at the 2012 Road to California Quilt Show last week.  They are not mine, and I have also photographed the description cards that accompanied the quilts so as to give credit where due.  Here we go....

I didn't take as many pictures this year as in the past.  I realized somewhere along the way that while I found the quilts inspirational at the show, I rarely looked at the pictures later.

Here are just a few that I found interesting:

First, there is this amazing quilt made by Sherry Reynolds.  I didn't take a picture of this one on my first pass through the show, but every time I passed by it during the next few days, it always had a crowd around it, even though it was directly opposite the best in show quilt.  It interests me because a good portion of it was paper pieced (and I was taking a class on paper piecing), but most of all, that she quilted it on her home sewing machine!  I didn't get any pictures of the details close up, but trust me, the quilting was amazing!!!




Next is this quilt by Cheryl See.  The color caught my attention first, but then I realized that the whole quilt was made of tiny hexagons. 12256 evidently!




This one by Suzanne Waldrop caught my eye, because it really gives a feeling of light and warmth.  The use of color is brilliant.



This one by Pat Durbin incorporated thread painting (another class I took at the show).  It also interested me because of all the tiny squares she pieced for the foreground.




Lastly, this cathedral window quilt  by Julia Gardner was amazing.  The color balance was lovely, and I was amazed to see one so large.  I have always wanted to make a cathedral window quilt, but anytime I consult a book or person, they always recommend making a pillow or some other small item because the pattern is time consuming and the resulting quilt is heavy.  I'm not sure how the maker of this quilt made it so lightweight, but it took her 8 years to make, so I guess it was time consuming after all.  Let's see, if I get started now, it will be done in 2020!




That's it for now.  These were my favorites, but I have a few more pictures for another time.

No comments:

Post a Comment

I had to shut off comments for a long time because I was just getting spammed. I'm going to try moderation for a while and see if that helps. Please leave me a comment.