Friday, February 10, 2012

The Crazy Quilters of Port St. Lucie quilt show

Last week, I went to a small local quilt show while visiting with my mom and grandma in Florida. It was lovely, and really fun to be able to attend with them. Here are a few pictures of some of the quilts that interested me.


















Fun times!


Some observations:

I don't know whether the trend is coming or going or just different from my area, but boy those ladies sure love the embroidery functions of there machines! Nearly a third of the quilts I saw had some kind of machine embroidery embellishment on them. From large flowers added to the top of a traditional pieced design, to blocks with what looked like Spirograph pictures on them in multicolored thread. Some of them I liked very much, others I thought detracted from the quilting.

Color choices - many of the quilts in the show had bold colors in them. I wasn't too surprised as south Florida has a "Caribbean flair" to it. However, the fabric that was being sold in the vendor booths was the exact opposite. Pastels, neutrals, and civil war reproduction fabrics seemed to be everywhere. Even the selection of batiks were what I consider "safer" colors, like dark green, navy blue, the occasional copper. It was as if the quilters in the show were the ones daring enough to use color, but the rest of the people just wanted something subdued.

I had a great time, perhaps I will try to make it to the next one in 2 years.

No comments:

Post a Comment

I had to shut off comments for a long time because I was just getting spammed. I'm going to try moderation for a while and see if that helps. Please leave me a comment.