Saturday, February 11, 2012

Skunk!

When I was a young girl, my mom would send me to Connecticut every summer for a few weeks to spend time with my grandparents.  They lived in a small cottage, literally in the middle of the woods.  Coming from the "city life" of South Florida, the woods was such an intriguing place.  It was filled with all kinds of wildlife, and I spent hours just staring into the woods, convinced that at any moment I would see something spectacular!  Well, I did see the occasional deer, plenty of squirrels, chipmunks, and birds.  But, I only saw one skunk in 10 years of visiting those woods, and he or she was crossing the road in the middle of the night.  I always thought to myself, how hard could it be to spot that white stripe against the dark brown and green background of the forest?

Now I live in a suburb of Los Angeles, city as far as the eye can see.  Not really the place you think of wildlife, though we do have squirrels and birds, of course.  But most surprising, is that we seem to be the ideal habitat for skunks!  There must be 20 skunks living within a 5 block radius of my house.  No exaggeration!  My husband and I used to take evening walks around sunset and we would see dozens of them.  Some skunks were as large a bear cubs too!  Again, no exaggeration!  I laugh to myself that this, the most elusive of woodland creatures that I used to hope to see while staring into the real woods around Grandma's house, is now living all around me!  Funny! And slightly stinky!

No sewing today, just thought I would share.

No comments:

Post a Comment

I had to shut off comments for a long time because I was just getting spammed. I'm going to try moderation for a while and see if that helps. Please leave me a comment.