Saturday, September 15, 2012

Saturday dilemma

I need some help.  I started the tops for my gram's place mats, but I'm not in love with one of them and would like your advice.

(My Gram is a bookworm, thus the book-inspired theme.)

Here is the first one:


Love this one.  I think it turned out great.  It is adapted (almost exactly) from the header at Gen X Quilters Block page, which by the way, is AWESOME.  It lists a bunch of free block patterns/tutorials from around the web - with photo thumbnails!  It is such a great idea.

The second top, I am not in love with.



I like the design.  What I am not in love with is that yellow background.  Originally, I thought it would brighten things up, but now that it is done......  I'm just not sure if it is my dislike of the color yellow that is clouding my judgement or if it really is truly heinous and needs to be redone with, oh say, a cream background.  What do you think? I took this pic outside so you can see just how "mustardy" this color is.

I think I have just enough time to redo the block if I need to.  Thoughts?  Opinions?

Thanks for the help!

Jen

2 comments:

  1. Your blocks are really cute! I think perhaps that the background fabric is so busy that it distracts from the teacup on top. I would either change the background or the teacup to give more contrast.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I agree...I think there's just not enough contrast with the yellow. A lighter background would be better. Love the top one though!

    ReplyDelete

I had to shut off comments for a long time because I was just getting spammed. I'm going to try moderation for a while and see if that helps. Please leave me a comment.