Wednesday, April 24, 2013

Moments of Balance - WIP Wednesday

Wow, I can't believe it has been nearly a month since my last WIP Wednesday.  Sadly, I haven't made that much progress on my list.  BUT, I have had moments of balance in my life.  Just moments, but they were there!

I'm sure I'm not the only person out there that doesn't seem to have enough time to do everything they want to do.  I find that I am either sewing away in my little dungeon studio OR I am cooking and cleaning for my family.  They are mutually exclusive activities.  This month, I did not get as far along on my various lists as I hoped, but I did accomplish a couple Spring Cleaning activities, had a great vacation with my family, and cooked a few good meals for my family.  I even thought about exercising.  Since I only made a few meals, I also finished one quilt up and made some blocks for bee commitments.  (Had I done more than thinking about exercising, these probably wouldn't have gotten done!) So there they are: moments of balance.  I hope to continue the trend next month.

Back to what I didn't finish -- yesterday, I hoped to get my Beginner's Quilt Along top all finished and basted.  I pulled it out to put the final border on and realized I have given ZERO thought to how I was going to back it.  I didn't have a single cut of yardage big enough to use, but I did have loads of scraps that I really didn't want to keep.  So, I spent most of this morning cutting up fabric for the backing and for my friends baby boy quilt.  I even started piecing some of these together.

Scoot WIP

Yikes, that's a lot of yellow!  All my other solids looked a little too bright for the muted shades of this Riley Blake "Scoot" fabric.  I picked up this Scoot back when my nephew was really into trains, but I didn't get a chance to make him a quilt before he moved on.  Monster trucks are now his thing!  I thought the soft yellows and other muted colors would be ideal for a new baby though!  I'm doing a bit of manufacturer mix up - Riley Blake fabric with a Moda Bake shop pattern.  Hey, that's how I roll!  So there is the beginning of that WIP.

This Wednesday...

Completed Projects:
  • April Showers Mug Rugs - done, you can see them here
  • Bee Blocks - April Simply Solids, We Bee Learning (2 blocks done), Make it Modern (1 block done, and my tutorial here), Lucky Stars April Block, 
  • Les Amis Baby quilt - DONE!  Come back on Friday for the big reveal.  I love how this one turned out!
On-going Projects:

AKA - "stuff I plan to touch this week or next".
  • Bee Blocks & BOM blocks - Skill Builder BOM blocks (now 2 months worth), 
  • Star of Africa Bee - I have already slipped behind.  Need February, March, and April done.
  • Baby quilt for boy - A deadline has been given - just what I needed!  Baby shower is May 20th.  Piecing is now in progress
  • Beginner Quilt Along at Quilting Gallery - needs backing, basting, quilting, etc.  Probably NOT going to meet my April deadline.
  • Quilt for Hands 2 Help Charity Drive - deciding between two designs.
  • Items for the "It's for the Birds" Blog Hop - my day is May 13th - I've got one little thing complete, but it is pretty pathetic.  I've got a table runner pattern all picked out, and would love to get it done for the hop.
  • Items for the "Say it with Flowers" Blog Hop starting at the end of May - several ideas swarming through my head for this one!
Back Burner:

These will likely be touched in a couple of weeks - I should really rename this category to "I want to remember that I have these projects, but realistically they won't be touched till 2015 because I'm too busy doing other stuff"
  • Handstitched Medallion Quilt - quilting in progress.  This is the project is going to take FOREVER!!
  • Discontinuity 2 - crib sized top is complete, but now I am thinking it really needs to be twin sized as all the girls are about to be in big girl beds.  On hold for now.
  • Curves Class goodies - catch up in progress, but on hold for now.   
This week's stats:
Completed projects - a handful, plus some blocks
New projects - 2?
Currently in Progress - 7 ish

Don't forget to link up any blocks you have been working on to the Building Blocks Tuesday post!

And as always, thanks for reading,

Jen

Quilter in the Closet

Linking up with
 WIP Wednesday at Freshly Pieced

4 comments:

  1. I am with you on the thinking about exercise Jen! I can never find the time to fit it in :)

    You have an impressive list of projects on the go.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Love the gentle quilt blocks. The yellow is a perfect choice.

    ReplyDelete
  3. oh my quite the list!! At least you made some progress!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Im sorry Jen, I have recently learned a vey sad thing from the daughters - it is not enough to *think* about exercise, apparently you have to *do* exercise! I did make them wash their mouths out with soap for using such foul language, but I thought I ought to share the distressing knowledge with you. However, on the plus side, they still seem ignorant of the fact that some mums cook every night, and clean every day, and use irons for clothes, so Im doing ok!

    PS (!) love the little yellow blocks x

    ReplyDelete

I had to shut off comments for a long time because I was just getting spammed. I'm going to try moderation for a while and see if that helps. Please leave me a comment.