Sunday, April 5, 2015

Inspirational Sunday (4) - via Road to California 2015

Another special exhibit that is usually seen at Road to California is the Hoffman Challenge.

Hoffman Fabrics is located here in Southern California and they have some lovely fabrics.  Each year, they choose one fabric and challenge the community to create with it.  There are several categories for quilts of various construction methods, but there is also a "doll" category and clothing and accessories categories - just in case quilts aren't your thing.  If chosen as part of the travelling exhibit, your item will see the halls of many a quilt show during the year!

What I like about this challenge is that while you have to use a recognizable portion of the fabric, you can mix in other fabrics from other manufacturers.  This really allows you to create what the fabric inspires as your masterpiece as you envision it.  Several of the challenges I've been a participant of in the past have limited which coordinating fabrics you are allowed to use.  This does make it challenging, but sometimes you just have an idea that needs to be realized and requires another fabric.

This is the fabric for the 2014 Hoffman challenge.

2014 Hoffman California Fabric Challenge

Here are some of the quilts from the 2014 challenge.

This one is called" Circles in the Mist" by Sonia Reed, and is of her own design.

"Circles in the Mist" by Sonia Reed


And for those of you that still haven't finished your One Block Wonder quilt from the Quilt Along a couple of years ago, perhaps this will inspire you to get it out again and finish it up!

It is called "Here Come the Blooms" by Penelope Harris.


"Here Come the Blooms" by Penelope Harris


Perhaps one of my favorites of the challenge is this one called "Segovia" by Deana Steel.  She let her love for Spanish guitar music to inspire this lovely quilt.


"Segovia" by Deana Steel


In case you are interested in trying your hand at the 2015 Challenge, the challenge fabric is:

2015 Hoffman California Challenge Fabric
I'm not sure why, but this one reminds me of flying carpets and the movie, Aladdin.

All the details of the challenge are listed here at the Hoffman Challenge website.  Entries are due in July!

I've heard it said several times that the Hoffman Challenge is a great place to get your feet wet in the quilt show circuit.  I was considering entering last year and planned on making a coral reef scene, but alas, that summer deadline is a tough one for me.  By the time I found the fabric, I just didn't have time to make the actual quilt.  Perhaps one day....If you are worried about sourcing the fabric, Equilter.com seems to usually carry the challenge fabric.  I have ordered from them in the past with good results and they have the 2015 challenge fabric.  So go for it!

Who is going to enter?


Thanks for reading today and Happy Easter if you celebrate!



Jen

2 comments:

  1. Thanks for sharing these challenge quilts, Jen. I saw that fabric when the challenge was issued and thought "Now that would be a challenge!" The fabric is not my taste and I couldn't imagine what could be made with it. These quilts are beautiful!! The one block wonder was a perfect idea for this one and "Segovia" is awesome! Amazing to see what people create. I agree, the 2015 fabric really does look like flying carpets!! :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Not me! The flying carpet one makes me think it's fabric that they can't shift through normal shop sales!! The circles (look awesome as "your" hexie design) is a pretty fabric but would never jump into my basket as I'd have no idea how to use it! The people who are inspired made fab quilts!

    ReplyDelete

I had to shut off comments for a long time because I was just getting spammed. I'm going to try moderation for a while and see if that helps. Please leave me a comment.