Tuesday, November 17, 2015

Going through the motions - Building Blocks Tuesday

Have you ever lost your quilting mojo?  I have been in denial for a while now, but I think I've lost mine.  It's happened before, but I can't remember what happened to snap me out of it.  I am just uninterested in quilting or sewing right now.  I've had a few hours strung together over the last week, that normally I would take full advantage of and sew the entire time.  But instead, I just went into my studio and stared at the possible projects to do and had this feeling of "blah".  It's not so much that the projects themselves were "blah", more that I just couldn't muster the momentum to do anything about them.

I tried to get started on a few things, but I kept finding other things that held my attention better.  I mean, I even chose HOUSEWORK over quilting!  Something is clearly wrong with me.

Alpine block for Janice

One of the things I did make was this Alpine block for Janice in my Bee Hive.  Once it was complete, I promptly left the room.  I have a bunch of other bee blocks to try to finish up for the month, but I am struggling to be motivated.

Have you ever been in a quilting or crafting slump?  What did you do to get over it?

What blocks have you working on this week?  I would love to see.  Link up your fabulous blocks.  You put a lot of hard work into them - show them off!  This free linky will stay open until the first Monday of next month, but I will repost it every Tuesday until a new month starts.


Quilter in the Closet

Rules:

1) Please link up only to the page in your blog showing your wonderful blocks, not just the blog homepage.  Flickr and Instagram pictures are also OK.
2) Make sure to put your blog name as the description so people know where they are going or the name of your block!
3) Please grab my button and post it in your blog post or sidebar.
4) Visit other linky participants!


Thanks for reading,

Jen




7 comments:

  1. Hello friend,
    I totally understand your quilting slump, and I join you in the deep end of it. And, it has happened before, and sooner or later it goes away, but I don't like it. What I don't like, is not liking to do what I love doing. I always feel off balance when I'm in a slump, but for me anyway, there's no "cure" that I know of. I am trying to make good use of my time doing other things, and then when the mojo comes back, I'll be all ready to create. I hope your slump is short lived.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I am sorry that I have no cure for your slump. I would suggest just rolling with the flow (plowing through that housework!) until it passes. Maybe stepping away from your sewing room and computer and reading a few quilting magazines/books would offer some excitement. Otherwise, focus on some other things that bring you joy.

    ReplyDelete
  3. This happens to me sometimes. I just go with it, and don't see or quilt for a while. Quilting is a hobby for me, though. The sewjo always comes back

    ReplyDelete
  4. do hope your mojo comes back soon, I lost mine for weeks but now it is sort of back, my trouble is I hate starting anything new, even wearing new clothes I have a problem with!! Seems from the other comments it is quilt normal to get into a slump do hope you get back to quilting soon

    ReplyDelete
  5. I feel your pain Jen, my sewing mojo went AWOL a while ago but seems to have returned of its own accord thank goodness. I think like all muscles the creative muscle just needs a rest now and then to recharge. I am sure that your sewing mojo will soon be powering away again, but in the meantime just take the time to sit back and enjoy spending more time with your family.

    ReplyDelete
  6. When I lose my mojo (for quilting or other crafty pursuits I do), I remind myself that ultimately it's a hobby and I shouldn't feel guilty about it. So I don't force myself to do any sewing beyond commitments (bee blocks/swaps), and it has always come back!

    ReplyDelete
  7. This happens with me quite a lot. Some times I'll be sewing for hours on end and really churning stuff out, then other times I can't even bring myself to turn the iron on, much less the sewing machine. For me, I know that it is related to my depression. It doesn't sound like this is your problem (because you were able to do your bee block) but you might want to look up symptoms of depression and see if any of those apply to you, just in case. Not trying to be a downer, I just want you to be healthy :)

    ReplyDelete

I had to shut off comments for a long time because I was just getting spammed. I'm going to try moderation for a while and see if that helps. Please leave me a comment.